Washington Township - 1779
Township CodeCalendar

13013 Welty Rd, Waynesboro, PA 17268

Phone: (717) 762-3128

Fax: (717) 788-0372

Mon-Fri 8:00 am - 4:30 pm


Monterey Pass Battlefield Acquisitions

BOMP Soldier Uniform Coat-grp shot

At their regular monthly meeting on August 15, the Friends of Monterey Pass, Inc. purchased a frock coat and associated artifacts worn by Captain William P. Wilken, an officer in the 1st West Virginia Cavalry, who fought at the Battle of Monterey Pass.

The Board was approached by Bill Carter who had purchased the coat and other items from a collector in Berlin, Germany, several years ago with an offer to purchase the artifacts. Mr. Carter has been very active with both the FMPB, Inc. and the One Mountain Foundation but will be moving out of the area within the coming weeks and felt that these artifacts which are a significant piece of local history belonged here. Mr. Carter offered the FMPB, Inc. the opportunity to purchase the artifacts, at no profit to him, for $9,000. The FMPB, Inc. accepted the offer which included documentation verifying the authenticity of the artifacts and an appraisal indicating the value to be much higher than Mr. Carter’s selling price.

In addition to the frock coat, this purchase also included a civilian photo of Wilken and his wife, a family bible published in 1851, a civilian CDV, and his obituary. 

BOMP Soldiers Uniform coat-by itselfSome information on Captain Wilkin:

William P. Wilkin enlisted as a Sgt. in Co. F, 1st WV Cavalry on 8/19/1861.  He was appointed 1st Sgt. 7/1/1862.  In March and April 1863, he was home on furlough, but rejoined his unit in time to take part in the Gettysburg Campaign.  During the battle, Wilkin took part in Farnsworth’s famous cavalry charge.  Wilkin survived this charge only to be captured 3 days later at Hagerstown, MD, on 7/6/1863.  He was taken to Richmond where he was confined until his parole at City Point on 7/23/1863.  After his return to the 1st WV Cavalry Wilkin was promoted to 1st Lieutenant (8/1863) and to Captain of Co. F in March 1864.  Wilkin spent the months of September and October 1864 at dismounted camp in Hagerstown.  In November he returned to his unit and mustered out on 2/26/1865 having resigned.  Wilkin died 12/9/1871 in Hannibal, MS after being thrown from a runaway wagon.